January 11, 2013
Certainly, we will be able to have all the health benefits of chlorophyll if we include certain foods in our diet. These are broccoli, spinach, asparagus and lettuce. All of these are best dietary sources of chlorophyll. But including them regularly in our diet is a bit difficult at times because of our hectic schedules of modern living. With numerous chlorophyll supplements, it has become somewhat easier to obtain the health benefits of chlorophyll despite our busy schedules.
• Chlorophyll contains a structure similar to hemoglobin. This is the pigment present in red blood cells. The only difference is that the central atom in hemoglobin is iron while in chlorophyll, it is magnesium. Thus, chlorophyll is known to stimulate production of new red blood cells. Such function can be quite beneficial in conditions like anemia.
• Chlorophyll is believed to have anti-carcinogenic properties. In turn, its supplements are capable of protecting the body from possible carcinogens. As a result, incidence of some types of cancer is reduced.
• Since it contains anti-inflammatory properties, chlorophyll can help in reducing inflammation and ensures quick healing of wounds.
• Chlorophyll can destroy infectious agents or harmful microorganisms because of its antiseptic property.
• Chlorophyll supplements can minimize the damage made by free radicals due to its antioxidant properties. It has vitamins C, E and A. All of these are considered powerful antioxidants which can prevent the oxidization of tissues and cells by free radicals.
• Chlorophyll serves as an immune booster. It can detoxify the body from harmful substances. It is capable of cleansing the intestine, detoxifying the liver, purifying the blood and improving the circulation of blood.
• Furthermore, chlorophyll is a deodorizer. It helps get rid of body odor and bad breath.
Dangers of Chlorophyll Supplement
Until now, these supplements have not been found to result to any major side effect. However, these supplements should not be taken by individuals with certain health problems like heart disease or high blood pressure. Women who pregnant and those who are breastfeeding are not advised to take these supplements. They need to consult their doctors first. At times, these supplements will cause severe allergic reactions in some people. These allergic reactions will manifest through breathing problems, skin rash or hives and swelling. Once you have observed these side effects, make sure to discontinue their use immediately. Also, you have to inform your doctor as soon as possible.
Filed under: Food Supplements