November 27, 2012
Hawthorn berry is one of the well-known herbs used in traditional medical systems of Asia, Europe and different other places. It is a red fruit which is small in size and produced by plants from the genus Crataegus. Usually, these plants are seen as shrubs or trees with branches which are thorny. That is why hawthorn berries are also termed as thorn apple. Although a number of hawthorn species are produced for ornamental purposes, these plants are extremely beneficial for their medicinal properties. These days, these berries are accessible in various forms such as extract, tea and tincture.
Hawthorn Berry Extract Health Benefits
Plants of hawthorn berry come from some regions of North America, Asia and Europe. The berries of these plants have been widely used for culinary reasons. Moreover, they are highly popular as a form of herbal medicine. As previously mentioned, there are many species of hawthorn plants that belong to the genus Crataegus. When it comes to medicinal properties, the most extensively used Crataegus species include Crataegus pinnatifida, Crataegus monogyna, Crataegus cuneata and Crataegus laevigata. Hawthorn berries are known to contain high amounts of antioxidants as well as other beneficial compounds. These useful components in berries are thought to be responsible for the therapeutic properties of the berry extract.
The role of hawthorn berry extract in promoting the functions of the cardiovascular system is considered the most important among its benefits. The active components of this berry are found to strengthen the muscles of the heart.
• This berry can be useful in dilatation of the blood vessels. Consequently, the blood supply of both inside and outside of the heart is enhanced. This is excellent in promoting health to other organs as well considering that they have good oxygen supply.
• Moreover, it was stated that this extract helps in the reduction of high cholesterol which can be good for the health of the heart. Hawthorn berries can also be used for the treatment of digestive problems such as diarrhea and insomnia.
• This extract is known to be very effective in decreasing high blood pressure as well as strengthening the blood vessels. It has also been recommended for use in treating hepatitis.
• In addition, hawthorn berries are noted to help digestion. Some individuals utilize it for the purpose of weight loss since the berries help the body in expelling excess salt in order to reduce water retention.
• Combating anxiety and stress is another health benefit of this berry extract. It can also be helpful to boost the immune system and to some extent, prevent the signs of aging.
Due to its therapeutic properties, it is extensively used as an herbal medicine for the treatment of different cardiovascular conditions such as arteriosclerosis, heart failure, myocarditis and angina or chest pain.
Filed under: Food Supplements