February 24, 2013
L-arginine is a type of amino acid. It has an important role in maintaining as well as improving one’s health. It is basic in nature. It works as an antioxidant. It provides numerous health benefits if taken like any other amino acid supplement. Normally, the human body has adequate L-arginine. It is primarily produced in the kidneys. The liver also produces it in tiny amounts. Low levels of L-arginine can occur due to infections, injuries and severe burns. The production of this amino acid can be affected due to some rare genetic disorders. L-arginine foods and supplements must be consumed in order to avoid health complications which result to L-arginine deficiency.
Purposes and Benefits
- L-arginine has a vital role in the formation of protein. It stimulates the secretion of prolactin and human growth hormone.
- It is involved in L-proline formation. L-proline is an important amino acid which is necessary for collagen synthesis. It accelerates wound healing.
- Other benefits of L-arginine are prevention of intermittent claudication and interstitial cystitis and also maintenance of normal blood pressure. It is a wonderful remedy for migraines.
- The body utilizes arginine amino acid in making nitric oxide. This relaxes the blood vessels. Therefore, L-arginine can be good for intermittent claudication, atherosclerosis and erectile dysfunction.
- Since L-arginine reduces the stiffness of blood vessels, an improvement in blood flow is observed. Consequently, it reduces the possibility of cardiovascular diseases. However, L-arginine must not be used following a heart attack. It can aggravate the effects of cardiac shock which proves to be dangerous.
- L-arginine can be used in treating erectile dysfunction. It helps produce nitric oxide which relaxes the muscles around the blood vessels. These blood vessels supply blood to the penis. If blood vessels in the penis are dilated, there will be an increased blood flow. In turn, it helps maintain an erection. This happens to be one of the important benefits of L-arginine.
Health Benefits for Females
- L-arginine is used in treating sexual dysfunction among women.
- It helps prevent heart diseases because it promotes better flow of blood.
- The function of the immune system is improved because L-arginine enhances the ability of the body to fight against diseases.
- The body of a woman goes through a lot of changes. L-arginine helps in preventing numerous illnesses. It also reduces the recovery time of other illnesses.
- L-arginine lowers LDL or bad cholesterol in the body thereby, reducing the blood pressure. This can be very helpful for women in a lot of ways.
Filed under: Food Supplements