March 4, 2013
Yohimbe is a type of tree which is found in West Africa region. For several years, it has been used by local people for medical purposes. They used it in treating a lot of sexual problems, fever, hypertension, cough and depression. Yohimbe bark is used in extracting tryptamine alkaloid yohimbine. This is purified and then supplied as a form of herbal medication. It has been particularly used in lots of body building and sexual performance enhancing products. Certainly, there are plenty of alkaloid benefits for the body. However, there are also many side effects of yohimbe which could be harmful to your health. These side effects are not only dangerous to the body. In severe conditions, they can also lead to death. Therefore, it is very important to know about the side effects in order to avoid these conditions. Let us take a look at the benefits and the side effects of yohimbe.
Even if it is used throughout the world, yohimbe has plenty of side effects in almost all the cases. Majority of the side effects are caused by overdose or prolonged use of this medication. Listed below are several side effects of the yohimbe extract. These will help you understand how important it is to use this herbal medicine in its prescribed dose.
- Let us begin with the general side effects. Some of the most common and general side effects of yohimbe include headache, excess sweating, increase in body temperature and frequent urination.
- Other side effects of this medication are vomiting, other gastrointestinal problems and nausea.
- Some cardiovascular problems such as high blood pressure and increased heart rate will show up. Sometimes, it will cause a drastic reduction in blood pressure. This is because the yohimbe bark may have a direct effect on the blood vessels.
- Other side effects of yohimbe bark are irritability and anxiety.
- Furthermore, yohimbe can affect the nervous system in a few cases. Its side effects are excitation, tremors and dizziness.
- High dosage of yohimbe can lead to fatigue, renal failure and paralysis.
- If yohimbe is used for a long period of time, it may result to some toxic effects on the body.
- Those suffering from problems related to blood pressure, kidney and liver must not use yohimbe because it will cause further complications.
- This alkaloid must not be used by nursing and pregnant women.
- If yohimbe is taken with products which have high amounts of tyramine, the side effects may be enhanced.
Now, you have already understood the importance of taking yohimbe extract in its proper amount. The side effects of yohimbe are common considering that the difference between the prescribed quantity and the overdose is just several micrograms. Thus, a lot of people are easily affected with overdose.
Filed under: Food Supplements